We are oral historians, independent journalists, artists, activists, organizers and media-makers who think that storytelling can be a political event and direct action. Stories honor past movements, teach and inspire current and future organizing. Stories can build community and help us to re-imagine what social movements are and can be. They can reveal patterns that point us toward transformative action.
In spring and summer (and maybe fall) of 2014 we will tour North America, collecting oral histories and ideas from radical, Left and progressive social movement activists and organizers across the continent. To share these stories we will create and curate a traveling installation and an online, multimedia platform.
The Social Movements Oral History Tour will:
- interview movement activists and inspiring, interesting individuals about their lives and work
- archive all curated content online in creative, accessible and well-produced multimedia packages
- offer trainings in: writing, radio and video production, editing, interviewing, research, web design, critical thinking and collaborative process
- promote partnering community producers and archivists on our tour and website
- offer technical support to collaborating producers and archivists whenever possible
- work with communities to curate and showcase collected stories
- produce narrative documentary work that weaves research and data with compelling, first-person testimony and local knowledges
- when useful and appropriate, work with communities to write or place stories in more mainstream media outlets
- thoughtfully unveil conflicts within and between movements
- continue conversations within and across different movements
Ways to plug in:
- Fund us!!!
- Are you an app developer, designer or coder? Help us design unique, accessible and creative platforms to tell these stories
- Be a recorder/ interviewer either where you live, or
- JOIN US ON TOUR!
- Help plan the tour
- Suggest a project, individual, group or topic area for us to work with or document
- Host us
- Invite us to lead workshops at your school, workplace or in your community
- Invite us to collaborate with your project
- Let us know what else we could be doing/ how you want to help us do it